Wednesday, May 26, 2010

As We May Think

A memex is a hypertext machine used to store data. Proposed by Vannevar Bush in his article As We May Think, the concept was never truly realized, but the newly-coined word survived... and 65 years later caught my eye when I was looking for a name and a concept for a blog.

Memex of 1945 was really a personal, custom-indexed collection of documents - MEMory and indEX. Yet, its author, by describing the concept, pronounced one of the first predictions of what came to be the internet. Half a century later, the shared memory-baggage of mankind is so vast and intricate, that one of the best ways to navigate through it is by using trails left by someone else, someone with similar interests, a friend, a coleague, a bot.

This blog, my memex, is a way of leaving my trail through the web. I intend to link to pages that I find interesting and also add some ideas of my own. The links and posts on this memex will mainly deal with:

- Roleplaying games in their many varieties
- Art, especially drawing and painting, more specifically mostly my drawing and painting.
- Books.
- Anything else, tangentially related to the former three that comes to my mind.

As I'm unable to provide a more specific category, you will have to wait and see, if you like what I post. After all, a memex is shaped by its creator, not by a genre, category or field.

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment